Raja Kumari is an Indian-American musician who is taking the Indian hip-hop scene to a whole new level.
Born and raised in California, she’s already breaking barriers, so it’s time for you to get acquainted with the ‘princess’.
1) The video for her debut Indian single ‘City Slums’, which features DIVINE, a band from Mumbai, has already crossed six million views.
2) She has collaborated with artists that include Gwen Stefani, Iggy Azalea, Fifth Harmony, Fall Out Boy, and Timbaland.
3) She’s trained in Indian classical dance, having started at the age of 7, allowing her to be well-versed with the rhythms. Her youth also saw her listening to AR Rahman and classical Telugu music, but the inspiration behind her interest in hip-hop was an album by the Fugees (The Score) that was given to her by her brother.
4) She was nominated for a Grammy in 2015 for being a songwriter on Iggy Azalea’s The New Classic.
5) After collaborating with AR Rahman, she joined him as a guest performer on his world tour.